A Way Forward When Family Relationships Break Down
Divorce is among the most stressful events you will ever have to face. The person whom you thought would have your back for a lifetime has suddenly become a stranger or worse: an enemy. It can be tempting to cede your rights here in the interests of avoiding confrontation, but this almost never serves your best interests or your children’s welfare.
If your divorce becomes contentious and you must go to trial, it is beneficial to have an experienced trial lawyer who can protect your rights. As a former prosecutor and board-certified criminal trial attorney, J. Melanie Slaughter, has the experience and skill you deserve to help you through these tough times.
Family Law Practice Issues
Our firm can assist you with the following issues:
- Divorce: No matter how “friendly” you and your soon-to-be ex may be, it is not smart to enter into divorce proceedings without an advocate who is solely focused on what is best for you and your future.
- Child support orders: Child support in the state of Florida is calculated according to a formula that takes the income of both parents into consideration. We will work to ensure an accurate assessment.
- Child custody arrangements: We can develop a parenting plan that serves your needs and the best interests of your children.
- Paternity determinations: When parents are unmarried in the state of Florida, determining paternity is a first step in settling questions regarding child support and child custody.
- Asset division: Do not leave your marriage without your fair share of the assets you worked so hard to accumulate.
- Spousal support: We understand how to build a strong case for the spousal support outcome that best serves you.
We can also help you with less common family law-related issues like grandparents’ rights, custody designations that involve an extended family member, challenging temporary injunctions, parental relocations and post-divorce modifications involving child custody, child support and spousal support.